The heart of the present-day castle is formed by the so called old convent of the Cistercian monastery, which used to be located by the main gate of the monastery, the St. Phillip and James church was adjacent to the monastery from the eastern part. The life of the monastery was located right in these places after the Hussite Wars and it was also the residence of the abbot Snopek during the restoration of the so called new convent by the Cathedral of Assumption of the Virgin Mary. After the abolition of the monastery in 1817was the St. Phillip and James church demolished and after 1820 were the buildings bought by Bedřich Karel, duke of Schwarzenberg and rebuilt to a castle.