The Sedlec monastery founded in 1142, wasn´t a very important centre in the first century of its existence, it was even considered to be abolished in 1278.

This fact was suddenly changed upon the arrival of the abbot Heidenreich in 1282-1283,who was able to get out maximum advantage of the important location of the monastery close to the new mining centre, mainly of the fact , that large area where the mining activities started, was in its possession. The monastery has also a profit of the spa resorts and hospitals in its possession and through the parish in Malín used to apply its patronate law towards newly built chapels and churches. Abot Heidenreich made the monastery precincts to be completely rebuilt with a peak gothic conventual minster on a cathedral plan located in the centre, which became to the first one in the big part of Central Europe. Under his management the Sedlec monastery became the richest ecclesiastical institution in Bohemia, what was unfortunately abused by the Czech governors, who at the end burdened the monastery with debt, from which it has never disengaged after Heidenreich´s death.

In 1421 was the monastery plundered by the Hussite Army and the buildings were burnt down. The minster stood there for almost 280 years without the roof and arch walling until the arrival of the abbot Jindřich Snopek, who started to complete reconstruction of the minster and the monastery between 1700 and 1709.To carry out the project Snopek invited the architect Jan Blažej Santini- Aichel, who realized here a peculiar historizing style of baroque gothic for the first time.

After abolition of the monastery in 1783 were the buildings and the estates sold out and the former conventual minster became a parish church. In the 19th century was the church three times restored.