In the Middle Age was the centre of the town built in much more than today. The archeological discoveries give evidence of the cellars of the houses underneath the surface of some squares or underneath gardens and parks. The first reduction of the built in area happened in the period after the battle on the White mountain, when the non-catholic population had to leave the town. The revenue office has recorded many desolate houses in that time.

Further large damage was made by two huge fires. In 1770 disappeared the late gothic town hall on present-day Palacky square and the so called Lower town with the church of Our Lady Na Náměti burned down in 1823. Later also two of the religious orders in the town-Jesuits and Cistercians in Sedlec were abolished by the reforms of Josef II, when many churches and chapels were closed down as well. Finally, in the 19th century it was the demolition of the building, which haven’t served to their purpose anymore, such as the Executioner´s house or Butcheries. In the first half of the 20th century was the new housing construction on the place of the old patrician houses the main reason of the their demolition (e.g. houses No. 240, 383, 521, 278).In the second half of that century it was mainly the change of proprietary rights of the houses, long-term neglecting of their maintenance and the worsening condition of the subsoil on the undermined area(e.g. houses No. 6-7, 75, 353, 374, 375). Finally it was the planned replacement of the original built in area by new buildings (e.g. Mědínek hotel, the building of the Czechoslovak savings bank-houses no. 317-321 or the pharmacy At the Unicorn, No. 62).

All the project of Disappeared places in Kutná Hora is concerned with the disappeared face of the town and its sights. In this part of our archive you may find the disappeared houses and other similar buildings classified by the land archive numbers and their historical names.