The historical maps of the town represent the most reliable source for understanding its urbanism.

They show the shape of the streets and markets of that time, allotments of the houses and important buildings, gates and the shape of the medieval wall work and location of the fountains or they register local names. Older maps show the state of the town before the two extensive fires in 1770 and 1823, and also before the radical reconstructions of the buildings and demolition of the gates and wall work in the second half of the 19th century. The eldest historical map of the town of Kutná Hora dates from the period around 1730and it was created in connection with finding a suitable place for building the college and church for the ursuline order.

The most valuable map of the ground plan was made by Franz Joseph Schaffuss in 1813 on the basis of a detailed measuring. We can follow
the arrangements of the ground plan of the town or buildings, reduction of the built in area after local fires or on the other hand foundation of new quarters behind the demolished town walls on the later town maps, e.g. designating sketch of a stable cadastre from 1839 or on the maps from the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century.