The cathedral represents a unique example of an urban ecclesiastical construction, on which was focused maximal attention of the patriciate of the town. Paradoxically it had to be situated behind the town wall. This situation was caused mainly by the intention to separate the spiritual administration of the town from the Sedlec monastery, the cathedral was situated only some tens of metres from the border of its landed estate and it was located on the land in possession of the Prague Chapter. Among other reasons for this location were also the densely undermined territory of the town and a general lack of space inside of the town walls with no central square.

On an extended rock cliff there was created the cathedral precinct, which included the church on the cathedral ground plan, karner, bell tower , parish and a school before the end of the 14thcentury.In the visions of the architects was the cathedral suppose to be for more than a half longer than it is presently, the for the financial reasons wasn´t this intention realized. The cathedral has been build in several phases from the thirteen eighties until the middle of the 16th century. The shape and all conceptual changes were carried out by the prominent architects of that time, who were also contracted for the royal orders in Prague- the Parler family, Matěj Rejsek and Benedikt Ried.

In 1626 fell the cathedral to the administration of the Jesuit order, which adapted it for a college chapel and in 1667 began to build the College itself, which was connecting the cathedral with the town symbolically and practically. The Jesuits carried out several arrangements of the cathedral, at first they took off the original interior equippement, whited over the gothic paintings and in the seventeen thirties they have even changed the exterior silhouette of the cathedral by completing it with the saddle roof with three hip knobs. Upon abolition of the Jesuit order in 1773 fell the cathedral to the share of the state religious fund. In next hundred years, during which it was given a minimal maintenance, became the cathedral considerably dilapidated.

In 1877 was founded the archeological society Vocel, whose main aim was the renovation of the Cathedral. Restoration and reconstruction project was created by the architect Josef Mocker. The exterior chorus has been renovated in 1884-1889, the naves and he tent roof were set back and western frontage was built. The cathedral was finally consecrated in 1905.

Regarding the fact that the St. Barbara Cathedral is one of the most important cathedral building in Europe, it attracted many artists and photographers in the past. The pictorial sources of the cathedral showing the interior and exterior parts of the cathedral -before and during the restoration form the largest collection of our digital archive.